As I left the sand mandala and St. John The Divine, the sounds of the monks' vibrating sticks were replaced by the rumblings of my stomach. Realizing it was well after four pm and I had not eaten since the early morning, I made my way across the street to the Hungarian Pastry Shop and its neighbouring deli. Armed with my turkey on rye and a cherry and cheese strudel, I once again crossed Amsterdam Avenue towards the West 111th Street People's Garden, to sit on a bench, intent on partaking in my little meal and resting my tired legs.
What joy, then, to hear a familiar little melody being played on the violin! As I entered the garden/park, I could not help but notice a young lady performing for those seated on the stone walls located around the Children's Peace Fountain. Imagining no better way to spend my time, I found a cozy little spot and sat down to listen.
And listen I did. For nearly an hour, I had the privilege of hearing a very talented and gifted musician as she delighted her audience with a series of traditional melodies. On this beautiful day, Miss A and her amazing violin teacher, Taichi, had decided to hold their lesson outdoors! I was amazed by Miss A's talent, as it turns out that she has only been playing violin for about eight months! Also, I was astounded by the sheer amount of confidence she displayed for an eight year-old in performing in front of an audience almost entirely made up of strangers. She certainly has more spunk than most kids I know - and adults for that matter!
Many thanks to Elizabeth, Miss A's mother, for letting me photograph her beautiful daughter in action. It was an absolutely enchanting moment... one of the memories from this trip - indeed any of my trips - that I will treasure forever.

And listen I did. For nearly an hour, I had the privilege of hearing a very talented and gifted musician as she delighted her audience with a series of traditional melodies. On this beautiful day, Miss A and her amazing violin teacher, Taichi, had decided to hold their lesson outdoors! I was amazed by Miss A's talent, as it turns out that she has only been playing violin for about eight months! Also, I was astounded by the sheer amount of confidence she displayed for an eight year-old in performing in front of an audience almost entirely made up of strangers. She certainly has more spunk than most kids I know - and adults for that matter!
Many thanks to Elizabeth, Miss A's mother, for letting me photograph her beautiful daughter in action. It was an absolutely enchanting moment... one of the memories from this trip - indeed any of my trips - that I will treasure forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment