On Thursday, May 20, I visited the Morningside Heights neighbourhood of Manhattan - home of Columbia University and the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine.
As I wandered through the Cathedral, I was delighted to discover a very special event in the St. Boniface Chapel - the construction of a Tibetan sand mandala by the monks of the Drepung Loseling Monastery.
A tradition of Tantric Buddhism, a sand mandala is defined as a 'painting' process where millions of grains of sand are laid into place using hollow pipes. The mandala is traditionally depicted as a tightly balanced, geometric composition wherein deities reside and it serves as a tool for guiding individuals along the path to enlightenment.
It was absolutely fascinating to observe the four young monks perform the delicate and meticulous funnelling of the grains of sand into place on the intricate design. The sound of the sticks being vibrated on the sides of the pipes was absolutely mesmerizing! I would have liked to return for the closing ceremony and the washing away of the mandala, but unfortunately I was not able to make it into New York City that day. This video, filmed on May 25, shows the completed sand mandala.

It's really nice ! Your pictures are awesome !
ReplyDeleteIt certainly needs loads of patience! Wonderful series! Greetings, Ada (willows_v)
ReplyDelete