March 18, 2010

On the road less travelled

My sister and I have often said that it would be fun, one of these days, to drive along Highway 7 and stop at all the interesting and/or obscure places between Peterborough and Ottawa. On our way back from her wedding on Monday, my friend and I did just that - turning off on a whim, lured in by the sign for Arden Pottery.


This particular turnoff is one that has intrigued me for more than twenty years as the road goes down into a valley, then quickly up a hill, leaving one to wonder what lies beyond... Well now, I wonder no more but am left with lovely memories of a hamlet nestled between water, inlets, valleys and hills.


About three kilometres in, at the end of a little road that runs alongside Big Clear Lake - an aptly named body of water - lies Joanne Pickett's Arden Pottery (http://www.inroadstour.ca/jpickett.htm)


We were greeted by Tess, a beautiful and friendly dog who led us into the shop. We spent a very pleasant few minutes chatting with Joanne about her pottery, the community and people's attitude towards the arts. As we were paying for our purchases (cash or cheque, the latter which you can send by post - how great is that!), Joanne told us the story of her daughter's duck who happened to be lying out in the yard in the sun.


Not long ago, this duck and its brother had been attacked in their enclosure by a weasel. In the ensuing battle, the brother was killed and the surviving duck lost an eye. Since then, the duck has spent all his time lying next to a mirror which is propped up against a tree in the yard. Quite frequently, said Joanne, he'll get up, turn towards the mirror and stare at his reflection.


After being granted permission to venture out into the yard to take some photos, I approached the sleeping duck as quietly as possible. As I got near, he awoke and, to my surprise and delight, turned towards the mirror...



I am quite happy with the shot but I think I will always be a little melancholy when I see this photograph, given the longing in the delight of it all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Melancholy is the perfect word. What a great photo to go along with the story.

    ReplyDelete